Coaching & Consulting
Sometimes writers need someone in their corner who will believe in their potential before they can. Joy Howard is that kind of coach.
Joy offers coaching and consulting to academics at all stages. As an active researcher in early American studies, she knows what hurdles you face. As a former professor, she understands what works and what doesn't work for academics. As someone working toward co-active coach certification through CTI, Joy's coaching is focused on the individual person. Working with her is confidential, empowering, and collaborative.
- Through one-on-one weekly coaching sessions with Joy, you can be more productive and satisfied.
- One-on-one sessions focus on what you want to discuss. You can set goals for your current research project and talk through the sticky places. You can use sessions to grow as a teacher, mentor, administrator. You can develop life rituals that are sustaining to you.
- Joy uses a non-violent form of truth-telling and question-asking that empowers the client. She helps you dig deep into your intellectual abilities, to create new habits that are sustainable for the long haul, and to work toward wholeness as a person.
- She consults with clients one-on-one via Zoom online software and via telephone. She offers recordings of your sessions so you can revisit your ideas later.
- Joy's coaching is tailored to each client. This is not a packaged program. You will design a relationship with Joy that works for you and addresses your needs.
- Do you feel burnt out, overwhelmed, sad, or stuck? Joy's coaching will help you take care of yourself and establish daily and weekly rhythms that are life-giving. More than anything, she wants you to grow toward wholeness and wellness.
- Are you struggling to finish your dissertation or do you have committee problems? She will help you discover your ideas, outline writing plans, and draft. She helps dissertation writers communicate with their committees.
- Have you been burned by mentors and editors? Joy is available to filter reviews from dissertation committees and from peer reviewers so writers do not have to face unnecessarily mean (and wholly unhelpful) comments.
- Are you on the job market and feeling lost or anxious? Joy offers job market consulting that walks you through writing your job documents, requesting letters of recommendation, navigating job postings, preparing for interviews, and negotiating contracts. She uses her experience as a job seeker, a professor, and a consultant with successful clients to help you choose a path that fits with YOUR GOALS.
- Joy specializes in coaching women, people of color, and members of the LGBT community. She seeks to come alongside academics facing extra hurdles because of systemic problems in academic. She can help you process and even thrive in a system that does not support you.
- Do you need help making the next step in your career, be it tenure, promotion, or more visible community engagement? Joy specializes in helping clients discover the next step that is aligned with their mission and values as a person.