Sometimes writers need someone in their corner who will believe in their potential before they can. Joy Howard is that kind of writing consultant.
Joy offers consulting and coaching as well as editing to writers at all stages. As an active writer and researcher in early American studies, she knows what hurdles you face. As a former professor, she understands what works and what doesn't work for academic writers. As someone working toward co-active coach certification through CTI, Joy's consulting is focused on the individual person at all times. Working with her is empowering, confidential, intimate, and collaborative.
- Through one-on-one weekly consulting/coaching sessions with Joy, you can be more productive and satisfying. One-on-one sessions focus on the project you are working now and encourages the writer to learn about themselves. She uses a non-violent form of truth-telling and question-asking that empowers the writer to dig deep into their intellectual abilities and to create new habits that are sustainable for the long haul.
- She consults with clients one-on-one via webcam, telephone, or meets you in person (in the mid-Atlantic region).
- Joy's consulting is tailored to EACH WRITER/EACH CLIENT. This is not a packaged program. You will design a consulting relationship WITH her that WORKS FOR YOU and YOUR NEEDS. She is committed to building client's skill sets.
- Have you been burned by mentors and editors? Joy is available to filter reviews from dissertation committees and from peer reviewers so writers do not have to face unnecessarily mean (and wholly unhelpful) comments.
- Are you struggling to finish your dissertation and have committee problems? She will help you discover your ideas, outline writing plans, and draft. She helps dissertation writers communicate with their committees.
- Are you on the job market and feeling lost or anxious? Joy offers job market consulting that walks you through writing your job documents, requesting letters of recommendation, navigating job postings, preparing for interviews, and negotiating contracts. She uses her experience as a job seeker, a professor, and a consultant with successful clients to help you choose a path that fits with YOUR GOALS.
- Do you need help making the next step in your career, be it tenure, promotion, or more visible community engagement? Joy specializes in helping researchers and writers discover the next step that is aligned with their mission and values as a person.